Friday 23 May 2014

Guest Author Interview - Crystal A Bourque

Crystal A Bourque (author of Eve's return) joins me in the latest guest author interview, discover more about her and her writing below:

Click on image to purchase from Amazon

Please introduce yourself, who are you and what do you do?
I'm a Canadian girl from Toronto, Ontario. I've lived here all my life, but am obsessed with Europe and would love to live there even for a few months. For now, I settle for a few weeks at a time. My favourite genre to write in is urban fantasy, or just plain old fantasy. That being said, I've got some ideas brewing away for other genres! I've got a degree in music, and while I focus on writing these days, I try to incorporate elements of it into my work.

What first inspired you to start writing?
In elementary school, our teacher had us write and illustrate one of the stories we had written during the year. She had us type up the words on a computer (which was new and exciting at the time), and bind everything into a book. It amazed me that I had written an actual book that we could take home and read. Something clicked. In that moment I realized writing was something I could do for a living! I've been writing ever since. 

And what attracted you to writing dark stories?
I have always been attracted to stories where the main character has the weight of the world on their shoulders. This tends to lead to some dark times. I love watching the characters struggle with their inner and external problems, and ultimately figure out how to save the day (at any cost). My favourite example of this is the Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher.

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
Cleopatra. I've been intrigued by her since I was young. I would want to know the truth behind the woman. Was she a seductress, a woman in love, or just savvy enough to go after what she wanted? In my mind, she’s one of the few women in history who was able to grab, and hold onto power. It fascinates me.

What makes your books stand out against the competition?
When I wrote Eve’s Return, I wasn't afraid to spin the story in the direction that it needed to go, even if that meant shocking readers. I also didn't write about vampires, werewolves, or mythology. I chose to write about religion and gave it a good twist, without writing Christian fiction. 

What do you find most rewarding about writing?
 I love seeing my story come alive on paper. When you put that much work and effort into creating something, it’s just ridiculously satisfying to have readers see what you've seen in your mind for months (or years). I also love when readers react emotionally to something I've written. Whether it is fear, excitement, happiness, sadness, or anger, emotion tells me that they are invested in my story.

And the most challenging?
Editing! It’s a long and tedious process: reviewing what I've written, evaluating what needs to change, what can stay, if there's a better word I can use, making sure that the description truly matches my vision, etc.. There’s no escaping it though, and so after indulging in a bit procrastination, I always get it done. 

What are you working on at the moment?
I am currently working on book two (of five) in the Book of Eve series. It's been a much easier process now that I know most of the characters and where I want the story to go. It should be available late 2014.

Tell us about your latest work and how we can find out more.
Eve's Return is the first book in The Book of Eve series. Here’s the blurb:

After having her heart broken, Jordan Andrews drops out of university to travel the world and ‘find herself’. Without a penny to her name, she returns home, only to discover a terrible tragedy has occurred in her absence. 

Determined to find her elusive twin brother, she does her best to ignore the terrifying hallucinations that begin to plague her. 

It quickly becomes clear that Jordan’s hallucinations are very real. She is attacked by a hoard of demonic creatures, but is rescued by a woman who claims to be a warrior angel. Through her, Jordan discovers that she has a power that is too strange to believe, and a seductive past that proves to be too irresistible to ignore. 

Now, Jordan must not only find her brother, but also obtain an ancient artifact. It is her only clue in discovering more about who she is, and the role she is destined to play. 

You can find out more about me and Eve’s Return at www.everythingstemporary.com, follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/everythingstemporary, or twitter: @everythingstemp

Click here to purchase Eve's Return from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment